In a tragic incident, a 2-year-old girl in Florida lost her life after her parents left her alone in a car for approximately 15 hours in 80-degree heat. The Holmes County Sheriff’s Office confirmed that the child’s body temperature was reported to be a staggering 107 degrees.
The parents had also left their 4-year-old child in the vehicle, but the older sibling managed to escape and is now under the care of child protective services. The mother contacted emergency services in a distressed state, making it difficult for the dispatcher to gather information.
The report from the New York Post details that upon arrival, deputies were met by the mother holding the unresponsive 2-year-old. Despite their attempts at CPR and life-saving measures, the child could not be revived.
The children’s mother, Kathreen Adams, initially claimed that she found her baby unresponsive inside the house. However, she later confessed that she had forgotten about her sleeping children and left them in the car. Authorities also executed search warrants for the parents’ residence and vehicle and discovered numerous packages of methamphetamine, marijuana, and drug paraphernalia, leading to additional charges.
Adams and the father, Christopher McLean, were initially booked on charges of child neglect, possession of meth, and possession of drug paraphernalia. Further charges are expected pending the results of the autopsy.
This devastating incident marks the fourth child fatality due to being left in a hot car in 2023, according to Kids and Car Safety, an organization dedicated to raising awareness about this issue and providing resources for parents. The previous incidents occurred in Spring Valley, New York, on May 9; Port St. Lucie, Florida, on March 6; and Atmore, Alabama, on February 27.
It is important to remember that leaving children unattended in vehicles, especially during hot weather, can have severe and fatal consequences, and all parents/guardians must take appropriate measures to ensure their children’s safety.